This is what Teddy learned/completed during his first two weeks of 6th grade.
1. READING: from the reader This is Our Heritage: Psalm 22, poems: Damascus Road and The Right Must Win; stories: Miracle at Black Mountain, Prisoner on Patmos; exercises: arranging events in order and recalling details.Reading Comprehension book: lessons 1-4; read The Adventures of Don Quixote (abridged) and first 3 chapters of St. Isaac and the Indians.
2. GRAMMAR: from Voyages in English: Nouns (proper/common, collective, person, number, gender), Exercises in English:ex. 1-10
3. VOCABULARY:Wordly Wise: half of lesson 1
4. SPELLING: Spelling Workout: lesson 1 and part of lesson 2
5. WRITING:Writing Strands: assignment 1(Following Directions) and part of assignment 2 (Sentence and Paragraph Control)
6. PENMANSHIP: six lines written in Spencerian cursive in workbook, dictation (Nicene Creed)
7. MATH: Saxon 76: lessons 1-9
8. LOGIC: Mind Benders: problems 1-4
9. SCIENCE: Cells Genetics and Heredity, exercises in Science Essentials
10. HISTORY: Japan in Isolation (1603-1716), The Stuarts (1603-1649), Early American Settlers (1607-1650); outlines for each lesson; added important dates on time-line, read library book about Samurai, read chapter about Japan from Story of the World 3,listened to about 30 min of The Story of US on tape
11. RELIGION: read, discussed, worked on memorization on ch. 7 in Baltimore Catechism; read and discussed first 2 chapters in Byzantine textbook (learned about Ss. Constantine and Helen and Ss. Vladimir and Olga; the Holy Mysteries, in particular Baptism and Chrismation)
12. GEOGRAPHY: did a few pages in The Complete Book of Maps and Geography, but decided to work on Civics/Government the first quarter and to do Geography the rest of the year.
13. CIVICS/GOVERNMENT: The Thirteen Colonies (workbook pages and read part of a library book on the subject)
14. ART: Lessons 1-2 of first unit (space), did 2 drawings; read ch.1 of Art 5 for Young Catholics (descriptions of symbolism in several paintings depicting the Annunciation by Fra Angelico, Carlo Crivelli, Rubens and more)
15. MUSIC: read 2 Bach biographies while listening to his music, listened to an online program Classics for Kids on Bach (biography stories and music),1 piano lesson with Miss Brown.
16. LATIN: Latina Christiana II Lesson 1 (Verbs, 1st and 2nd conjugations, present, future, imperfect tenses, irregular verbs)
17.GERMAN: Rosetta Stone: Unit 1, lesson1 and part of lesson 2
18. ROMANIAN: read and translated four short texts, made flash cards and learned 23 words
19. MEMORY: 1/3 of Nicene Creed
20. P.E. : bike riding (3 times), hiking (once)
1. The Icebound Land (Ranger's Apprentice, book 3) by John Flanagan
2. J.S. Bach by Mike Venezia
3. J.S. Bach by E. M. Summerer
4. Sword of the Samurai by Eric Kimmel
5. Adventures of Don Quixote by Argentina Palacios
6. The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, book 1) by Rick Riordan